AMERICAN VETERANS OF IGBO DESCENT – OUR UNITY AND HOPE
Our AVID is a non-profit 501(c)19 entity. Its membership is open to all Igbo veterans who served in the United States Military; and are Honourably Discharged, as well as Active-Duty Personnel with the Reserve Component and National Guard.
The main goals of this Defensive and Protective entity include:
- To maintain true allegiance to the United States of America.
- To foster and perpetuate true Americanism.
- To combat whatever tends to impair the efficiency and permanency of our free institutions.
- To uphold the fair name of the Igbo people and fight her battles wherever unjustly assailed.
- To encourage the doctrine of universal liberty, equal rights, and full justice to all men and women.
- To fight terrorism at home and abroad.
- To combat the powers of bigotry and darkness wherever originating and whatever their target.
- To preserve the spirit of comradeship by mutual helpfulness to comrades and their families.
- To cooperate with and support existing educational institutions and establish educational institutions, and to foster the education of ex-servicemen and ex-servicewomen, and our members in the ideals and principles of Americanism.
- To instil love of country and flag, and to promote sound minds and bodies in our members and our youth.
- To preserve the memories and records of patriotic service performed by the men and women of our faith.
- To honour their memory and shield from neglect the graves of our heroic dead.
We cannot accomplish these responsibilities without hard work of our dedicated and dependable Executive Council; as well as active support of our members. Our elected leaders are men and women who selflessly dedicate their time and resources to lead this virgin entity to an enviable growth. We pride ourselves in the fact that we are disciplined, courageous, honourable, and committed to our established goals.
Only by ‘buying into’ the goals of AVID, working together as a unified team, attending AVID meetings and events, redeeming our membership status; supporting AVID with our talents, skills, and abilities; as well as our material resources can we accomplish these goals.
We unequivocally extend an open membership invitation to all Igbo decent veterans within the continental United States to demonstrate patriotism by making their membership of AVID count. Brotherly love and sisterly love as well as mutual help for each other cannot be achieved in isolation.
Our executive is bullish, optimistic, positive that selfless commitment, tolerance, and wilful redemption of our annual dues will help AVID not only thrive but lead other organization in its category throughout the 21st century. May God give our President divine vision, temperament, compassion; as well as bless, protect, and prosper AVID. Please qualify yourself, and join us as we embark upon the high work speed ahead.
Mazi Dr. Godson Chukwuma Obiagwu